Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Addicted to Pinterest

Hi, my name is Lauren.  And I'm addicted to Pinterest.

What possibly separates me from the rest of the us addicted to this amazing online pinboard . . . is that I actually attempt to make some of the things I pin!  So far only 1 of the 3 crock pot recipes I've tried do I think is worth keeping . . . and our laundry area in the garage is still in a state of limbo because its impossible to do anything major while Lila naps . . . but I did complete some soft blocks for Lila last week!

I was inspired to make the blocks after we were visiting with Lila's friend Ellie, and Ellie had some from Pottery Barn Kids that Lila really enjoyed playing with.  Ellie was lucky enough to get her blocks from a friend . . . because they cost $29 for 3 blocks.  I went home, got on Pinterest, and in a few minutes had pinned some tutorials for making your own soft baby blocks. I made Lila four blocks for a grand total of $10!

I will say, however, that nothing is as "easy" as you think it will be.  The easy part was going to Jo-Anns and buying the foam for inside the blocks, picking out fabric and cutting everything up.  The hard part is sewing a cube.  And then slip-stitching the last side after you've stuffed it.  I had to call Pauline in for reinforcements because my hand sewing leaves a lot to be desired.  I did find some bells on clearance and stuffed those inside the foam blocks, so they have a very nice rattle to them!

Here are some pictures:




Lila loves them.  Especially when I stack all of them up so she can knock them down.  She is also really into grabbing two toys right now and banging them together.  At least with these, I know she won't bonk herself in the head and hurt herself!

Recently, Justin's mom June asked me if I would be creating all of these wonderful things (see Lila's Halloween Costume,  Lila's stocking, Lila's Easter Basket, etc) for Lila's siblings.  I certainly hope so!  I think these projects will be a lot like childbirth.  You kind of forget the details after a few years and that's why you want another one.

No comments:

Post a Comment