Thursday, March 21, 2013

DIY Project for March - Closet Makeover!

I am almost finished with our closet makeover so I had to share pictures!  (I just have to paint the rest of the walls the same color as our bedroom, Kilim Beige by Sherwin Williams, and figure out what I want to do on two of the closet shelves).  Since painting is not an easy task with baby, I don't know when I will get around to it! I also had Melissa pick up a few more hooks at the IKEA in Tampa to hang hats on, and we are not sure when we will get to see each other next!

Anyway, I present to you our new closet makeover 90% complete!

The main driver for me to even consider this project was that I wasn't happy with my previous jewelry storage.  I felt like I could never "see" what I owned and ended up wearing the same stuff all of the time.  We had a wall in our walk-in closet that was being seriously under-utilized, so I hopped on Pinterest and started looking.  I came up with a crazy affordable solution from IKEA using their Bygel line.

Here is the aforementioned wall in our walk-in closet:


Same wall with nothing hanging:

I took the rack down and patched the holes.  Then Ace was having a "Free Paint Saturday," so I picked up a quart of "Sweet Tangerine."  We liked the test spot, so I taped up some plastic sheeting and painted the wall one morning while Lila was napping.


Ready for the after?!
Ahhh. Pretty.

Let me break down what I bought, all from IKEA:
Lack Shelf 48" $16.99
Bygel Rail 48" $3.99
2 Bygel Rail 24" $5.98
6 Bygel Toilet Paper Holders (that's what the bracelets are hanging on!) $11.94
1 pack Bygel s-hooks .99 cents
8 packs Bygel plastic hooks $7.92
2 Bygel Baskets $5.98
White eyelet candle tray $2.99
Turquoise print small bowl $2.99
Paint from Ace: FREE
Hardware to hang all of it: $15

Grand Total $74.77!

Here are some more detailed before and afters:


This piece was at the bottom of the Bygel baskets so I just nailed it up on the wall

After completing the project, I realized I have two very serious addictions:

Bracelets:

And lip gloss:

Here is the pretty eyelet candle tray I use to corral small earrings and rings:

The project also inspired me to clean up the rest of our closet.  I sorted all of our stuff by color and type, and made sure they were all on the same kind of hangers.

Before:


After:

Before:

After (still need to hang those belts up, maybe I'll get a free minute today).

I also decided to take shoes out of their boxes that I use regularly and just place them on the shelf so I can grab them quickly:
And I love seeing all of my dresses in color order!
Can you tell it's my new "happy place"?

Now on to the laundry area in the garage . . . !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment