Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The Big Reveal

I watch way too many HGTV shows.  My favorite part is always the big reveal, whether we are seeing everything come together on shows like "Curb Appeal" or we are finding out if the guests of the show are going to "Love it or List it!"  Here's my own version.  But first, we have to step back into memory lane to remember what the house looked like before this project began.

What did the project entail?  After we took down the wallpaper, we found out that the walls needed to be re-textured.  We also noticed that there was 7 different types of trim around the house so we decided to make it all the same.  We also added some architectural details like trim around windows and new windowsills.  Then the house was painted using four colors throughout: Sherwin-Williams Divine White, Kilim Beige, Sea Salt and Hazel.  We also took out the wall closing off the kitchen and the funky column in our dining room.  Basically our project is what contractors would call a cosmetic face lift.  And what a face lift it was!  I think the paint colors really lighten up the house and make it feel brighter.

 Fireplace sitting area before:


And after:

Before

After

Sunroom before (boring white walls)

(Look at that funky column and that small opening to the kitchen)

Sunroom after (yay Sea Salt!)

Where did that column go?  Is that the kitchen I see?

And now for what I think is the biggest transformation.  The family room area gets a complete overhaul with new couches and a fun accent wall, and the dining area actually has real chairs and a rug under it to complete the look.

Before:

After (please ignore the fact that we still need a foyer closet door, we're working on it!)

Before: (Column, I really detest you.  You are terrible).
After: Hello, open floor plan!  I heart you.

The master bedroom has become one of my favorite rooms (not so much before).

Before: MB, you're okay, but you kind of bore me.

After (I took a lot of pictures because I love it so much!)  The room is completely finished except for the white two-inch blinds we ordered for the window behind the bed.  They arrived in the mail today so they will be up soon!


Love having the chair in here now (formerly in the living room).  We also potted some tropical plants right outside our sliding glass door!

Marley likes it, too.

We moved the huge wave print from the foyer into the bedroom and we love it.  So soothing!

Some more "after" pictures for you to enjoy:


Loving the open kitchen.  Just waiting on the floor guy to install our new threshold!

The new view from the kitchen:



The entryway by the garage got a face lift too!  We picked up this "shoe cabinet" from IKEA that I'm going to start using for organizing not only shoes, but also mail, paper & pens, restaurant menus, a flash light, that kind of stuff.  I hung our calendar above it and made a cute dry erase board using a frame and colored card stock (thank you Pinterest!) Justin and I each have a bucket to put our keys, phone, etc.  Eventually I want to get a charging station for the top as well.

That concludes the house tour!  Seriously, come visit anytime!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing such a nice information, its helpful for me. I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post. Keep sharing.advanced medical aesthetics

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, I loved all the updates! I especially LOVE your headboard and all the textural warmth it adds to your bedroom! Take care : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Which walls are painted Divine White and which ones are painted Kilim ? I am trying to decide between those 2 colors for my main wall color in the hallway/livingroom/kitchen which get very little natural light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vivian, the walls in the foyer, hallway, and surrounding the accent wall (TV area) are divine white - the walls in the bedroom are kilim beige. Looking back, we would have been happy to paint all of the areas kilim beige, that's how much we love it!

      Delete