Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Easy DIY way to update your potted plants!

While my mom was visiting, we worked on the potted plant situation in the front and back porch.  Unfortunately when I came home after being away five weeks, only a handful of my plants had survived.  My mom also mentioned that I had a superfluous amount of plastic terra cotta-colored pots that were pretty boring, so maybe we could spray paint them!

Genius idea and super easy.  I went to Home Depot and picked out two pretty shades of spray paint: lagoon and green apple.  Make sure you get the Krylon brand that says PLASTIC on the front of the can. They are less than $4 a can!  Such a cheap and easy DIY project.  We had also picked up some new green and tan plastic pots that look ceramic from Wal-mart, so I picked the shades accordingly.

In case you were wondering, I did not do any of the spray painting myself.  Lucky for me, Mom was here to do it.  Pretty sure pregnant women are not supposed to be using spray paint.

These pots are ready for their makeover!

And now for the after photos: The one in the middle is the lagoon color!

Lagoon, an orange one I already owned, and green apple:

Another green apple thrown into the mix!


This spray paint project went hand-in-hand with another: updating our metal outdoor furniture.  I really want to save up for a nice outdoor dining table and chairs instead of spend money on a cheap set that we won't keep.  I decided to use what we currently have and make them match by spray painting all of them black.  The metal rockers on our back patio also got an update with a bronze metallic spray paint and unfortunately the pictures are not doing that color justice.

In the before photo below, look at the cafe table and four chairs with it.  These are the chairs that I'm talking about also being black for a more cohesive look.  Also, that indoor/outdoor rug lasted about three months - had to pitch it after it literally fell apart.


And now for chairs - pretty!  I'm not going to lie when I saw these painted black, I kind of wished we had painted the rockers black too.  Maybe when it's time to repaint them in another seven years . . .

These guys also got a fresh coat to spiff them up a bit, and now when I pull the other two chairs over, they look more like a set!

The new metallic bronze color on the rockers - seriously, not a great color to photograph!  Pretty in person though.  And I love that the green apple spray paint matches the cushions.
And in case you were wondering what the new pots from Wal-mart look like:




 Hopefully I've inspired some of you to tackle a very easy and cheap DIY project that can really change the look of your porches and patios!

No comments:

Post a Comment