Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Realistic Decorating

Does it bug anyone else when you look at furniture catalogs and home decor magazines and you never see any cords? To any appliances?  Sometimes you don't even see outlets!  It bugs me to no end because it seems impossible to realistically re-create in your own home.  Sometimes I wonder if they just remove cords for the photo shoots for magazines like Coastal Living. 

Take these pictures from the West Elm website/catalog:
 Really?  You never need to charge that macBook of yours?

I have an iMac . . . and there is a sizeable power cord that comes out of the back of that thing.  I guess your printer is wireless, but I also don't see the outlet it's plugged into!

The other day in our kitchen I was looking at the three outlets we have against our side kitchen counter and lamenting that I even have to look at them.
 I'm not sure why you would even need six plugs over there . . . and I already have six more over on the other counter, plus four on the island.  I could have every kitchen appliance I own plugged in and still have extra!  Plus, I think it takes away from the back splash, don't you?

I also see Tivoli radios in magazine spreads all of the time, and never do I see this crazy cord mess. (By the way, how cute is that Lilly Pulitzer animal cracker box?!)

I moved stuff around for a good half hour before I came up with the following solution to this cord/outlet mess:
It can be done!  The menu board, grapefruit picture, and peace lily hide it all.  I love looking over there now.  I catch myself admiring it on the regular.  Hey, it's the little things.

No comments:

Post a Comment