Monday, September 17, 2012

Andy Warhol - "Pop art is for everyone"

I'm not sure when my obsession with Andy Warhol began, but it probably peaked when I moved into my first apartment.  I painted my dining room area this crazy bright yellow green and adorned the walls with some of my favorite Warhols.



The iconic Campbell's soup can was the last Warhol standing and was hanging in our current kitchen until we tore the wall down and opened it up to the rest of the house.  Sadly, I didn't have a spot big enough for it afterwards, and I am sad to say that I had no Warhols hanging anywhere in the house.  At one point, I had contemplated a Warhol nursery, but went with the aquatic/beach theme instead because of our Florida lifestyle.  I think if we had stayed in Virginia or moved somewhere not by the beach, the Warhol nursery may have happened.  I also tried to find good spots in our current house to hang my other Warhols, but inspiration never struck - they just weren't jiving with the rest of our new look.

I read the blog, Young House Love, daily and I was so psyched when Sherry posted about these amazing 50 year anniversary Campbell soup cans in Warhol colors.  Target is selling them exclusively, and of course, I had to get them asap. 

LOVE.
While Sherry at YHL turned hers into adorable pencil cups for her daughter, I had a brilliant idea for mine. 

The top two adjacent open shelves in our kitchen are basically unusable because neither Justin or myself can reach them without a stool.  Because we have the open shelves for our dishes and glasses, and the glass door cabinets on the opposite wall, I had run out of colorful, fun stuff to display.  For the time being, I put my vintage flowered chip bowl and some pieces from my Mom's wedding china on those two top shelves.  I was not loving it, but at least the shelves weren't empty.
Before - blah.
When I spotted those Warhol cans on YHL, I knew they would be the perfect addition to those top shelves and they would look awesome with my Fiestaware and other colored dishes.

After! Yessssss.
The best part?  My house is no longer absent of Warhol and I just decorated my top shelves for $6 bucks.
One of my favorite Andy quotes is "The idea of waiting for something makes it more exciting."  So true in this case - I'm glad I didn't buy something just to fill the space and waited for something perfect to come along!

2 comments:

  1. have you seen the fiesta ware line called petware for pets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw your that your mom posted it on my mom's facebook page - so cute!

    ReplyDelete