Monday, July 2, 2012

Getting crafty for the nursery

Last week, my mom and I were chilling in Nags Head (along with the three dogs, Sandy, Marley and Shelby) and we decided to paint some pictures for the nursery.  While Justin and I are not really doing a "theme," we are trying to make the nursery beachy.  We saw these really cute wooden art pieces at Pottery Barn kids, but at $49 each, thought we could make our own versions.  Mom already had the canvas and the acrylic paint, so we all we ended up buying was paint pens to write the names ($10 at Wal-mart). 
Photo: www.potterybarnkids.com


Photo: www.potterybarnkids.com

We set up our canvases in the kitchen and spent Wednesday morning painting.  Painting is so therapeutic and enjoyable.  I think Baby Watts felt pretty relaxed too.
Gettting set up for our painting session:

Our rough drafts- we decided on a sea turtle, starfish and octopus.

We prepped the canvases by painting them all one color.  Mom worked on the sea turtle and I got started on the starfish.


Marley was pretty relaxed himself.

Then we started the outlines.


Next we started filling in the sea turtle and the starfish.


Finally, we were ready for background color.

Mom was still working on the sea turtle, so I got started on the octopus.

I loved painting this octopus!  I feel like I found one of my hidden talents and could paint them all day long.  My next project might be a big one in black, white and gray for our master bedroom.  (All of our art in our bedroom is black and white).


Mom finished up the background and details on the sea turtle and we were ready to write the names.

Our finished products!


Now we just need to convince my dad to help us make frames this week!  We want to do something with white weathered looking wood.  I'll be back in Florida this weekend and I can't wait to see how they'll look in the nursery!

No comments:

Post a Comment